Old Fart Who Loves Japanese Pop Culture 日本の大衆文化を愛する中年

Japanese Dramas, Manga, Anime and Japanese Movies, Jpop, and anything else about Japanese pop culture that I find interesting.

日本のドラマ、マンガ、アニメ、J-POP、その他私がおもしろいと思った日本の大衆文化について

My Photo
Name:
Location: Akihabara@DEEP, NY, Christmas Island

contact me at kevn57ATgmail.com friend me on goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1660832-kevin

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Paprika

As a big fan of Satoshi Kon’s Millennium Actress I expected to enjoy Paprika and wasn’t disappointed in the least. The story can be a pretty confusing because it keeps switching between reality and dream and back again, but the main plot line is a 550 pound scientist Tokita Kosaku invents a machine the DC-mini that allows someone to enter into another persons dreams. Chiba Atsuko is the psycho-therapist who enters the dreams as the beautiful and dynamic Paprika. Someone steals the machine and starts using it as a dream terrorist. The machine is strong enough to eliminate the dreamer’s personality.

This anime may not be everyone; if you expect a linear storyline and always want to understand what is going on this movie will drive you crazy. But if you like writers like Philip K Dick, or movies like Dreamscape the 1984 Dennis Quaid movie that cover some of the same ground but not as vividly (anime is just perfect for this kind of movie), or Kon’s Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent I think you’ll really enjoy this too. The music is done by Susumu Hirasawa who also did the music for Paranoia Agent and really fits well in the reality bending themes of the movie.


Download the movie from Asian DVD Club get the bit torrent file here. It is a DVD screener and the watermark at the top has been blurred, which can be a little distracting at times. I look forward to when this title is licensed and I can buy a copy of the movie.










































Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Weekly Anime Review said...

I've really been looking forward to this one. I really hope it comes to my town when it gets released in June. We've had a decent run of anime coming to the local art cinema, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :)

http://www.sonyclassics.com/paprika/

4/05/2007 04:12:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

That would be awesome I'd love to see this in a theater, I didn't know that they were doing an American release, I was just hoping it would be released on DVD soon.

4/05/2007 11:37:00 AM  
Anonymous jimbo said...

totally looking forward to this movie. gonna wait for a dvd torrent instead of screenrips. anime is big about art and animation so i get bummed about low quality screen rips.

5/09/2007 05:04:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

low quality screen rips

It's a DVD rip of the DVD Screener, it's got a watermark removed that's really the only quality issue with the rip. I look forward to getting a licensed special edition when it's released though.

5/09/2007 11:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home