Old Fart Who Loves Japanese Pop Culture 日本の大衆文化を愛する中年

Japanese Dramas, Manga, Anime and Japanese Movies, Jpop, and anything else about Japanese pop culture that I find interesting.

日本のドラマ、マンガ、アニメ、J-POP、その他私がおもしろいと思った日本の大衆文化について

My Photo
Name:
Location: Akihabara@DEEP, NY, Christmas Island

contact me at kevn57ATgmail.com friend me on goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1660832-kevin

Thursday, September 27, 2007

My Top 10 Romantic Comedy Dramas

Romantic Comedies
1) Long Vacation
2) Hanazakari no Kimitachi e
3) Hana Yori Dango 1 & 2
4) Densha Otoko
5) Love Generation
6) Kimi wa Petto
7) Stand UP!!
8) Nodame Cantabile
9) Proposal Daisakusen
10) Hotaru no Hikari


Honorable mention Good Luck!!, Pride, Yamada Taro Monogatari, Boku dake no Madonna and Orange Days.

I think all of the above are great shows and well worth watching, it’s funny as I look over the list none of the actresses star in more than one show but the actors have multiple picks Kimura Takuya is on top with 5 including honorable mentions. Matsumoto Jun is in 3 counting HYD twice, Ninomiya Kazunari is in two including honorable mentions.

My Favorite Romance Dramas

1) Beautiful Life
2) Summer Snow
3) Strawberry On The Shortcake
4) Ai No Uta

As you can see this is a short list, I’m not a big fan of serious romance dramas and haven't watched that many but these are shows that I really loved and have watched multiple times. The worst romance I’ve ever seen is Aoi tori it was to long, as in stretched out and too melodramatic for me. The only reason worth watching it is a nice acting job by a 10 year old Suzuki Anne who went on to star in Stand UP!! and Ganbatte Ikimasshoi along with movies like Hana and Alice, Returner and Moon Child.

What's your favorite that I missed?

Labels: , ,

Link to Post

8 Comments:

Anonymous Mile_Kane said...

TOKYO LOVE STORY IS THE EPITOME OF JAPANESE ROMANCE DRAMAS! It is the be all and end all of the genre, this is not opinion but fact.

9/27/2007 02:23:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

@Mile_Kane TOKYO LOVE STORY IS THE EPITOME OF JAPANESE ROMANCE DRAMAS!

I've never seen that one, it's from 1991 and hasn't been a series of the week yet at d-addicts, and it's not being seeded either. But if it ever makes series of the week I'll download it and give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds like you really like this drama. ;-)

9/27/2007 03:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Roguerro said...

I'm surprised that "Summer Snow" isn't on your list. In my opinion it is the best in it's class.

9/27/2007 05:23:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

@roguerro I'm surprised that "Summer Snow" isn't on your list.

It's #2 under My Favorite Romance Dramas, I loved that drama just didn't think it qualified as a comedy, the only romance I like better is Beautiful Life another great drama but not a comedy.

9/27/2007 06:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Genken said...

Here is my top 10 Japanese Romantic Comedy list:
1.BUS STOP
2.2nd Chance
3.Meguriai
4.Dekichatta Kekkon
5.Tenki Yoho No Koibito
6.Oishii Kankei (Light Hearted)
7.Yamato Nadeshiko (Pure Romance)
8.Perfect Love
9.To Heart
10.P.S. Genki desu, Shunpei

9/27/2007 07:11:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

@Genken
Great list, I loved Bus Stop and Dekichatta Kekkon but the one I'm most intrigued with is "Tenki-yoho no Koibito", do you have that with English subs? If you do could you let me know who the subbing group is because I've searched most of the sites I usually get drama from and usenet too but I couldn't find it. I love Inamori Izumi and she's been in lot's of dramas but very few that were subbed. I have Pretty Girls, Beach Boys and Long Vacation as well as Iryu but I'd love to see her in another romance, the only drama I've seen of hers that I didn't care for was "Toshishita no Otoko" and it wasn't her fault just didn't like the storyline. I've got Yamato Nadeshiko and To Heart just haven't found time to watch yet.

9/27/2007 07:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hana Kimi and Hana Yori Dango are really good(: i shall check out "long vacation", hope it's not disappointing((: thanks for the recommendation!

10/15/2007 07:58:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

@Anonymous i shall check out "long vacation", hope it's not disappointing((:

I hope you like it but let us know either way.

10/15/2007 11:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home