Old Fart Who Loves Japanese Pop Culture 日本の大衆文化を愛する中年

Japanese Dramas, Manga, Anime and Japanese Movies, Jpop, and anything else about Japanese pop culture that I find interesting.

日本のドラマ、マンガ、アニメ、J-POP、その他私がおもしろいと思った日本の大衆文化について

My Photo
Name:
Location: Akihabara@DEEP, NY, Christmas Island

contact me at kevn57ATgmail.com friend me on goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1660832-kevin

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Houkago (After School)

I picked this drama up to watch by mistake. I knew that Horikita Maki was in a drama called Houkago (After School) and when I was going through my dramas I found it to my surprise and put it in. I kept waiting for her to show up but she never did, because I had the wrong drama, same title different year however. This 5 episode series was broadcast 15 years ago in October of 1992. Mizuki Arisa (Oniyome Nikki 2, CA to Oyobi ) stars as Azusa a second year high school student council honor student, who’s family is very well off, her father works in Los Angeles running a supermarket chain. Ishida Issei as Kouhei a sub par student in the same school, member of a rock band, his family run a little store and is much less wealthy then Azusa’s. After school as Azusa rushes back to school to retrieve a gift from her father, and Kouhei rushes home to tape something on his VCR, under an exploding power pole they exchange bodies. From there it’s all out laughter. I really enjoyed this summer’s Papa to Musume no Nanokakan which tells a similar story of a high school girl who switches bodies with her father, but this drama is much funnier. In the first episode after switching bodies Azusa catches Kouhei in her underwear drawer, then makes him swear not to look at her body. Later that night Azusa’s parents catch Azusa blindfolded while Kouhei removes her clothes, the police arrive to remove Kouhei. Aside from being laugh out loud funny there is a romance but the main point of these body switching scenarios is ability to look at life from another perspective, one that you may have judged harshly before. It’s about looking at other peoples values, and reassessing your own.
Along with the two stars are some other actors that will be familiar to 2007 drama fans, like Shinohara Ryoko (Aengo, Unfair), Takeda Shinji (Hotaru no Hikari), Morimoto Leo (Long Vacation, Proposal Daisakusen) and Motai Masako (My Boss My Hero). But the main reason I think you should watch this drama is for the excellent funny performance of Mizuki Arisa when she is Kouhei just watching her expressions and the way she walks makes me laugh. Another thing to note is that Mizuki Arisa is still starring in dramas in 2007 and has been in over 23, this was my first exposure to her but I’ll definitely be looking for more. The only negative I have to mention is the video quality is fair at best, being a VCD rip with Chinese hard subs and English soft subs, still I feel that it’s very watchable.

All that being said it’s going to be pretty hard to locate this drama, there is a bit torrent release you can download here, but as I post this there is only one seed on each episode so expect that download will be painfully slow. Hopefully it will be a series of the week, if it does I’ll post updates to the blog. Otherwise this maybe a good drama to snail mail trade for the time being.

































Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha! I wanted to watch this drama but I downloaded the one with Horikita Maki instead.

10/18/2007 08:47:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I Love Horikita Maki but I actually prefer this one over her Houkago

10/18/2007 11:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home