Old Fart Who Loves Japanese Pop Culture 日本の大衆文化を愛する中年

Japanese Dramas, Manga, Anime and Japanese Movies, Jpop, and anything else about Japanese pop culture that I find interesting.

日本のドラマ、マンガ、アニメ、J-POP、その他私がおもしろいと思った日本の大衆文化について

My Photo
Name:
Location: Akihabara@DEEP, NY, Christmas Island

contact me at kevn57ATgmail.com friend me on goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1660832-kevin

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Hakaba Kitaro 墓場鬼太郎 Episode 1 Screen Caps

I've been looking forward to this anime for a while, I first saw Kitaro this past fall in the live action movie GeGeGe no Kitaro starring Wentz Eiji (Nodame Cantabile) and Inoue Mao (Hana Yori Dango) . But the movie just drops Kitaro in the real world with no explanation of where he came from I wanted to know his origins. After watching the opening episode of the 2008 anime last night Kitaro and his graveyard birth have been revealed, along with a hearty helping of fresh frog eyeballs and the mystery of how patients at a city hospital are becoming living ghosts.

Minor spoiler. It also shows his father, the last of the Ghost tribe morph from a giant mummy to an eyeball man the size of a person's thumb.

This anime is based on the manga by Mizuki Shigeru that was first released in 1959. According to what I've read this show is supposed to be closer to the manga that the other five anime adaptations that have already been produced the first starting in 1969 and the latest in April, 2007. I'd never had an opportunity to see any of the other anime versions or to read any of the manga just the L.A. movie which I enjoyed. The visual style of the anime is striking; the art director is Kurahashi Takashi who also handled the art on Mononoke which this show's artwork is reminiscent of. That's another show which I loved for its stylish artwork, just take a look at the screen shots below. It's really hard to judge an anime by its introductory episode but so far I'm looking forward to seeing more of this show and meeting more of the yokai which populate its world. Give this show a try if you like Hanada Shounen Shi or the Adams Family.

Download the first two episode English hardsub bit torrent files here.









































Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger G2 said...

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm following your foot steps :) Will check it out.

4/20/2008 09:58:00 AM  
Blogger G2 said...

Human beings are indeed funny. We worry about jobs/companies even when we enter Hell. :) What a delightful and refreshing way of looking at our daily worries! It seems all trivial now. :) I add this series to my must watch list for this season besides so many others

4/21/2008 01:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home