Old Fart Who Loves Japanese Pop Culture 日本の大衆文化を愛する中年

Japanese Dramas, Manga, Anime and Japanese Movies, Jpop, and anything else about Japanese pop culture that I find interesting.

日本のドラマ、マンガ、アニメ、J-POP、その他私がおもしろいと思った日本の大衆文化について

My Photo
Name:
Location: Akihabara@DEEP, NY, Christmas Island

contact me at kevn57ATgmail.com friend me on goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1660832-kevin

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Hanada Shounen-shi Screen Caps

A peaceful village surround by rice paddies, 3rd grader Ichiro runs from his mother who he refers to as the demon hag, he steals a bicycle, breaks through a fence and down a flight a stairs where a fully loaded logging truck swerves but hits him sending him flying through the air, where he realizes he’s about to die. Then in a flashback Ichiro is talking to his friend Souta as he puts a dead frog through the ringer of the family washing machine, he’s doing it for a curse because his father won’t buy a color TV set. His mother enters finding the mess and starts a chase; he grabs his grandfather who was gardening, holding him hostage and threatens to kill him with a sickle. “Either buy me a color TV or watch the old man die”. He relents and tosses the sickle to his mother and escapes. Ichiro’s sister Tokuko catches up to him later as he sits in a tree and warns him that the frog’s ghost will haunt him for what he did. She explains to him that tormenting the dead is the worst sin you can commit. Then that night instead of going to the outhouse he pees out the door onto the porch, but he’s caught by his mother, who grabs him while he’s still peeing and he’s peeing all over the house. He’s afraid to go to the toilet at night because it looks haunted and He’s afraid of ghosts.

Thanks a lot to GiGi who recommend this show to me, when I watched the first episode I thought that this was just going to be a Japanese version of the Simpsons with Ichiro taking Bart’s role in the family but after you watch a few episodes it’s really not like that at all, but it’s always funny and quite often very touching. Ichiro can see and hear ghosts so they come to him with requests which Ichiro tries to refuse. I highly recommend this anime to comedy fans who’d like to learn a bit more about rural Japan and Japanese customs. I think you’ll like it if you like shows like Bamboo Blade or Moyashimon.

Download the entire series from the Anime-Empire bit torrent tracker here.
































Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger G2 said...

I am so glad that you like it too. Did you cry while watching the last episode? I did.:)

1/08/2008 06:27:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I haven't gotten that far yet, but I like the show more and more as I'm watching the watching more of it.

1/09/2008 11:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home