Old Fart Who Loves Japanese Pop Culture 日本の大衆文化を愛する中年

Japanese Dramas, Manga, Anime and Japanese Movies, Jpop, and anything else about Japanese pop culture that I find interesting.

日本のドラマ、マンガ、アニメ、J-POP、その他私がおもしろいと思った日本の大衆文化について

My Photo
Name:
Location: Akihabara@DEEP, NY, Christmas Island

contact me at kevn57ATgmail.com friend me on goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1660832-kevin

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Bara no nai Hanaya











Ning has left a new comment on your post

i was looking at the drama sypnosis you put up and saw this: Bara no nai Hanaya
is this show good? it looks interesting. generally i prefer more sad shows, tragic stories. but i would see a drama with good story too. there are too many posts and i didnt search one by one to see if you did any other sypnosis other than the first episode. asking you would be easier. =D. hmm so what do you think about the drama? is it worth watching?
Ning left that comment and I've gotten a few emails asking me why I haven't posted more about this excellent drama.

Do I like this show?
Yes very much, it isn't the kind of show that I normally watch, I go more for light hearted comedy and and this is much more serious, but it is not a depressingly serious drama, at times it seems that it's a romantic comedy but there is this underlying dark thread that holds it together. The cast is exceptional I'm especially enjoying Katori Shingo performance he's along way from the monkey king he portrayed in Saiyuuki.
One of the reasons that I started watching it is because LoveSong is doing the hardsub release and I've never downloaded one of the dramas that they've worked on that I haven't enjoyed watching. Just the other day I downloaded Ningen Shikkaku a new release from them of a 1994 drama, I don't have time with work and all the current shows to watch it yet, but I'm downloading it and when I get a chance I'll be sure to post on it.

Why don't you post about each episode like you do with a lot of other dramas that you post about here?
The reason I haven't posted about more episodes is that it is not an episodic mystery show like Galileo, there is something brewing under the surface that I don't want to spoil the story for someone who hasn't seen the entire drama up to date. I watch it each week as soon as the episodes are released, Lovesong just released the hardsub for episode four and I'll be watching it tonight.

I highly recommend this show and you can download the first four hardsub bit torrent files here. I posted screen shots of the first episode here.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous P-chan said...

Bara no nai Hanaya is definitely set up differently from the lighter dramas out there. The storyline builds up bit by bit. I guess it's kinda like a long movie XD Now that we're about halfway through the series, I'm expecting some big events to happen concerning Mio. We'll all have to wait and see. I've been hearing excellent reviews on this show and it really makes me happy that LS can bring it to everyone.

Ningen Shikkaku is another more serious drama. Definitely not light at all. It has some very dark themes. This is written by the same screenwriter as Bara, and has won and award for best screenwriter for Ningen. Love Song decided to do a few more serious dramas just to mix things up a bit. We've just been doing too many lighter dramas lately and the staff got a bit tired from it ^^;;;

2/13/2008 04:25:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

@p-chan Love Song decided to do a few more serious dramas just to mix things up a bit.

I'm always up for good serious dramas, and I trust your groups picks. Another serious drama this season that I unfortunately hate is Daisuki!!, I disliked it enough to fast forward through most of the 1st episode and I deleted it and the raw I had of episode 2 right away. I really like the cast they assembled but the storyline and the screaming crying of that episode drove me away.

But back to "Bara" a good serious drama, it reminds me of "Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi" which I loved when I saw it a few years ago. I really look forward to finding the time to watch Ningen Shikkaku it looks good from the description on the wiki.

We've just been doing too many lighter dramas lately and the staff got a bit tired from it ^^;;;

I'm glad your group didn't just get burned out and quit subbing entirely. It's an awful lot of work and your groups working on three at once. Personally I like "Bara" much more then "Hachimitsu to Clover" which is really unexpected.

2/13/2008 05:37:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

@Ning

Thanks a lot for leaving that comment I've been meaning to write this post for a while, I hope you try this series and enjoy it as much as I am.

2/13/2008 05:39:00 PM  
Anonymous P-chan said...

I always trust your taste in dramas. I'm a bit surprised that you didn't like Daisuki! It was one of the dramas that I thought I'd try this season. I'll probably skip it now XD haha!

I'll be completely honest... I'm very disappointed with Honey and Clover. I haven't gotten past episode 2 and I'm working on this series =p It's way too slow and boring for me. I like the cast but it's just not my type of drama. Out of the three dramas that we're subbing, I do like Bara no nai Hanaya best. Some of the characters like Shizuku, Master and Eiji are just very gentle, but then you got that doctor and Mio plotting against them. I'm really looking forward to how things will turn out in the very end. I just got done timing episode 5 and it sounds like a very good build up for episode 6. Please look forward to it, and thank you so much for supporting me and Love Song *bows*

2/13/2008 09:20:00 PM  
Blogger G2 said...

Well, I must follow your recommendation Kevin :) and thank you LS for bringing them to us. I am taking a break from JMovies and animes. Back to JDrama

2/14/2008 10:30:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

@p-chan
I'll be completely honest... I'm very disappointed with Honey and Clover.
I am too, I had such high hopes for this. It has a great cast and the anime was terrific. I'm still going to watch it I'm just trying to forget any associations with the manga/anime.

thank you so much for supporting me and Love Song *bows*
The thanks are from all of us to you. These shows wouldn't even exist for me and many others without the hard work of the few that labor to make them understandable an oh so enjoyable. To work on a series you love I can applaud but to work on one you don't even like is true love for the genre.
I would never complain if a sub group dropped a project they didn't like, in fact I thought TimeLess dropped Mop Girl but I was really happy to see them release an episode this week.
Everyone who ever reads this blog knows how important the fan sub community is because almost every one of my posts links to their subs.

and like G2 said thank you LS for bringing them to us.

2/14/2008 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger Ning said...

Cool. I am adding this drama into my list of 'must watch jdramas'. but i dont know when will i be able to watch though. my work is kinda busy and i only have time to watch during meal times during weekends. i'm currently watching [byakuyakou], with [beautiful life] and [summer snow] waiting. but i will definately watch it.

before i forget, just want to say thanks to you for doing this blog up. it greatly benefits me and i guess other jdrama lovers as well when we are scouting for nice shows to watch. this is a really amazing blog.

also thanks to p-chan (from what i read you are one of the subbers from lovesong?). without the fansubbers, those of us who only have less than pre-kindergarten standard japanese will never be able to enjoy such wonderful shows.

2/14/2008 08:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home