Old Fart Who Loves Japanese Pop Culture 日本の大衆文化を愛する中年

Japanese Dramas, Manga, Anime and Japanese Movies, Jpop, and anything else about Japanese pop culture that I find interesting.

日本のドラマ、マンガ、アニメ、J-POP、その他私がおもしろいと思った日本の大衆文化について

My Photo
Name:
Location: Akihabara@DEEP, NY, Christmas Island

contact me at kevn57ATgmail.com friend me on goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1660832-kevin

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Kamen Rider Kiva 仮面ライダーキバ Ep.1 Screen Caps

Episode 1 "Fate: Wake Up!"
The tokusatsu opens in 1986 at his funeral a man rises from his coffin, transforming into a Fangire, a monster that looks like a spider and sucks the life from the woman who just placed flowers in his coffin. Upon leaving the chapel the Fangire is confronted by a woman, Yuri Aso who attempts to destroy the monster but it escapes. Time leaps ahead to 2008, Wataru Kurenai is attempting to steal a cat’s fish dinner when he’s interrupted by Shizuka Nomura. Shizuka tells him it’s wrong to steal a cat’s meal, giving him a bag of fish bones. Wataru is collecting the bones to create a varnish to be used to recreate a violin. When Wataru and Shizuka arrive back at his home a crowd has gathered along with a policeman because of the awful smell coming from his home. Shizuka explains that Wataru is allergic to the world that’s why he wears a mask, safety goggles and doesn’t speak, worst case scenario if the mask is removed he’ll die. When they enter the house Kivat the bat like device flies from violin abode and greets Shizuka.

I’d just finished my first Kamen Rider series, Kabuto over the weekend. I loved that show so much I watched all 49 episodes and specials in a little over a week. So I approached Kiva with a little trepidation, after liking Kabuto so much could Kiva live up to it or would it be boring rehashed story. But the storyline is completely different. As are the main characters, Kiva’s Wataru Kurenai is so shy and withdrawn from the world he doesn’t speak and keeps his face completely covered, contrasts nicely with the self assured Tendou Souji they couldn’t be more different. The two timelines, and the number of new characters most of who I don’t recognize from previous dramas made this a little confusing, but after watching a couple more episodes I’m not confused anymore. Kyo Nobuo (Hanazakari no Kimitachi e) appearing in this opening episode was an added bonus as I loved him as Oscar in Hana Kimi he was so funny. Also this first episode was in Commemoration of Ishinomori Shotaro, the deceased creator of Kamen Rider 70th birthday.

Download the first four hardsub episodes from the TV-Nihon tracker here.












































Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous P-chan said...

All of the Kamen Rider series are different; they are all standalone series. They just share the same franchise name. If you watch like Kamen Rider Hibiki, it couldn't be any more different from the recent Kamen Rider series.

I'm not sure how much I like Kiva. There's only 4 episodes released so far. Most toku starts off slow so I'm not counting this out just yet. I definitely do like Wataru's innocence in this series. He kinda reminds me of Ryoutarou from Den-O at first. We'll see though. Seems like Wataru is just full of surprises.

3/04/2008 03:47:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

@p-chanAll of the Kamen Rider series are different
That's great I can't wait to see more of them, watching these shows reminds me of when I first started to get into anime. They are so different from the stuff that I normally watch.

I'm not sure how much I like Kiva.
I haven't seen a large enough sampling of shows in the genre to know if it's good or not, but I watched all four of the episodes last night and I had a great time doing it. I was a little confused with the timeline changing and all the new characters but after the 2nd episode I felt like I knew what was going on, and started noticing more of the details like the 80's fashions. Wataru is great but when Shizuka tells Megumi she's his mom, and Megumi gives her the sarcastic reply. I knew this show was for me.

3/04/2008 04:18:00 PM  
Anonymous P-chan said...

Sometimes the only way I figured out how the timeline has changed is when they do the whole sign thing. One sign says 2008 and the other says like 1983. Also the characters are different for each generation. I usually can't tell if a series is any good until I get at least 10-15 episodes into it. Sometimes the first episodes is just to build the characters and storyline. The action doesn't start until later ^_^

3/05/2008 06:37:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

@p-chan Sometimes the only way I figured out how the timeline has changed is when they do the whole sign thing.
I'm really getting used to it now and I know the characters on site now just the first episode I didn't really know any of the actors except for Kyo Nobuo and with all the new characters and the time line shifts I got confused. I'm all caught up with Kiva and I'm going to watch the Kabuto movie tonight and this weekend I want to start Den-o.

I usually can't tell if a series is any good until I get at least 10-15 episodes into it.
I'm the same way with anime and dramas the first couple are always hard to tell. But I really like the way Kiva's started out it'll be fun to watch it over the course of the year as it comes out, I watched Kabuto in a week.

3/05/2008 07:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/15/2009 05:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home