Old Fart Who Loves Japanese Pop Culture 日本の大衆文化を愛する中年

Japanese Dramas, Manga, Anime and Japanese Movies, Jpop, and anything else about Japanese pop culture that I find interesting.

日本のドラマ、マンガ、アニメ、J-POP、その他私がおもしろいと思った日本の大衆文化について

My Photo
Name:
Location: Akihabara@DEEP, NY, Christmas Island

contact me at kevn57ATgmail.com friend me on goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1660832-kevin

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

US Broadband Won't Catch Up With Japan's For 101 Years

Come on Time Warner, work a little harder!

Sent to you by kevn57 via Google Reader:

via Slashdot by timothy on 8/13/08
An anonymous reader writes "Internet speeds of users nationwide shows that the United States has not made significant improvements in deploying high-speed broadband networks in the past year, and if the average US Internet speed continues to improve only at the same rate it did from 2007 to 2008, the country won't catch up with Japan's current download speed for another 100 years, according to findings released by the Communications Workers of America's (CWA's) Speed Matters campaign." With enough statistical mangling, nearly anything can be presented as plausible, but that's not enough to cover up my envy of Asian broadband speeds.

Read more of this story at Slashdot.


Things you can do from here:

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Statistics do not work that way.

8/13/2008 05:47:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I know but it's a pretty good indication how far we are behind right now.

8/13/2008 06:21:00 PM  
Anonymous bluemist said...

I would agree with Slashdotters, 101 years is taking things linearly. We have exponential technological progress in almost every aspect, just like Moore's Law and stuff like that.

8/13/2008 08:41:00 PM  
Anonymous suguru said...

Yeah, I'm also jealous of how fast Japanese broadband is--I remember staying in Tokyo a couple years ago and our hotel's internet connection was so blisteringly fast I downloaded an episode of Yoakena in two minutes flat (granted, not the best use for high-speed internet but that's another rant). It seems like with US broadband providers all talking about introducing caps and bandwith throttling, it wouldn't surprise me if US broadband got worse before it gets better...I'm guessing the year 2109 is too optimistic...

8/14/2008 12:12:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

suguru said...It seems like with US broadband providers all talking about introducing caps and bandwith throttling

If Time Warner does that I'll switch to DSL right away, it seems to be only the cable monopolies that have tried that so far, if DSL does them same I'll have to look for other means to access the net.

8/14/2008 11:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home